If I could choose only one hero to….oh I don’t know be stuck on a desert island (well make that an island off the coast of Scotland for the atmosphere) with it would have to be Rochester.
- Who wouldn’t fall in love with a tall, dark stranger?
- Who wouldn’t love a man who challenges another to a duel (ok, you’d better run a mile from a guy who uses firearms to settle disputes, but pistols at dawn in the 18th century is wildly romantic).
- He’s been taken advantage of by the people he loved. His family con him into marrying a lunatic, then his mistress dupes him in the cruelest way and possibly cuckolds him.
- Despite his hardships, he is kind and looks after a child he doubts is his.
- He risks his life to rescue the mad wife whose existence stands between him and true happiness with Jane.
- He has a sense of humour.
- By falling in love with and marrying Jane he shows contempt for the class and money-obsessed social norms of the age.Which hero would you choose to be with on a desert island or in a lonely castle?